homelung cancerMedia, Blogs & Newsdonateget involvedabout lcfacontact us

The Facts
The Need
Research Funding
LCFA Awards


Lung cancer is the forgotten cancer. It is under funded, under researched, and under supported. It will kill more than 160,000 Americans this year. The Lung Cancer Foundation of America is desperately needed...


get involved

"Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all they have."

H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Dance like there's nobody watching. Love like you'll never get hurt. Sing like there's nobody listening.
Live like it's heaven on earth. And speak from the heart to be heard."

William W. Purkey



  • Every 2 1/2 minutes someone in the United States is diagnosed with lung cancer and every 3 minutes someone in the United States will die from lung cancer.
  • Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States accounting for 15% of all cancer incidence and 29% of all cancer deaths.
  • In 2009 Lung Cancer will claim more lives than breast, prostate, colon, liver, kidney and melanoma cancers - COMBINED.
  • In 2009 it is estimated that approximately 219,000 men and women will be diagnosed with lung cancer and that approximately 162,000 men and women will die of lung cancer.
  • It is estimated that 60% of new lung cancer diagnoses will be in non-smokers - a combination of 45-50% former smokers (many who quit 10, 20, even 30 years prior to the onset of lung cancer) and approximately 15% of people who have never smoked.
  • In 2009 it is projected lung cancer will kill three times as many men as prostate cancer and nearly twice as many women as breast cancer.
  • One in 13 men and one in 16 women will develop lung cancer in their lifetime. This includes smokers and non-smokers. (American Cancer Society)
  • In 1971, the National Cancer Act declared the War on Cancer. At that time, the overall 5-year survival for lung cancer was 13.6%. In 2008, the estimated 5-year survival rate for lung cancer will be 15%.
  • There is currently no approved screening for early detection of lung cancer.
  • The survival rate for lung cancer is 49% for cases detected when the disease is still localized; however, only 16% of lung cancers are diagnosed at this early stage.
  • In 2007, the National Cancer Institute budgeted only 5% or $242.9 million of it’s total $4.8 billion budget for lung cancer research. However out of the $242.9 million only 38% ($92.3 million) was spent on early detection, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of lung cancer. The other 62% was spent on prevention, causes of lung cancer, biology, cancer control, survivorship and outcomes research.
  • The Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Defense earmarked no money for lung cancer research in 2007.
  • According to the NIH, the government funding for lung cancer research continues to drop, despite increases to the National Cancer Institute. In FY 2005 lung cancer research was funded at $289 million; in FY 2006 lung cancer was funded at 266 million; in FY 2007 research for lung cancer dropped again to 249 million. In FY 2008 FUNDING FOR LUNG CANCER RESEARCH DROPPED TO AN UNBELIEVABLE 169 MILLION!! This is a 42% reduction in federal research funding for lung cancer research!!!